• Huether Family Aquatics Center

    Construction - July 1, 2020

  • Huether Family Aquatics Center

    Construction - July 1, 2020

  • Walnut Street

    Newly completed Walnut Street project

  • Yankton 4th of July Fireworks

    Yankton's annual 4th of July fireworks show over the Missouri River.

  • Meridian Bridge

    Winter Scene

  • Fire Prevention Week

    Fire Prevention Week

  • Lewis & Clark Lake

    Lewis & Clark Lake

  • Jim River Bridge

    Jim River Bridge

  • Lake Area Trail

    Lake Area Trail

  • Meridian Bridge Moonlight

    Meridian Bridge Moonlight

  • Lewis & Clark Recreation Area

    Lewis & Clark Recreation Area

  • Walnut Street

    Walnut Street

  • Bragging Rights

    Bragging Rights

  • Downtown Streetscape

    Yankton's Downtown

  • Lewis & Clark Lake

    Missouri River Bluffs

  • 4th of July

    4th of July Fireworks Show

  • Riverside Park

    Riverside Park

  • Meridian Bridge Fog

    Meridian Bridge Fog

  • Meridian Bridge Winter

    Meridian Bridge Winter

  • Meridian Bridge Fall

    Yankton Meridian Bridge Fall

  • Lewis & Clark Lake

    Lewis & Clark Lake walking trails.

  • Rockin' Ribfest

    June 3-4

  • Yankton Marina

    Yankton Marina

  • Yankton Missouri River

    Yankton Missouri River

  • Fishing the Missouri

    Missouri River Yankton

  • Meridian Bridge

    Meridian Bridge

  • Ice Sailing

    Missiouri River Ice Sailing

  • Yankton Riverside Park Winter View

    Yankton Riverside Park Winter View

  • Missouri River Yankton

    Merry Christmas

  • Yankton Discovery Bridge

    Yankton Discovery Bridge

Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option




What is Section 8?

Section 8, or the Housing Choice Voucher Program, is a Federal housing program that provides low-income families the opportunity to choose and lease safe, decent and affordable privately owned rental housing by supplementing what they could afford on their own. Public Housing Authorities apply to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for Section 8 funds, which are then provided to eligible families in accordance with HUD rules and regulations.



What are the minimum qualifications for the program?

To qualify for rental assistance you must be at least 18 years of age or legally emancipated, the gross income of your household from all sources (before taxes are withheld) cannot exceed the following amounts:


I need housing right now, can you help?

The YHRC does its best to assist those that need help. Unfortunately there is a waiting list for assistance. If you need housing right now there are several options.


  • The YHRC provides a list of subsidized apartments in Yankton County that provide their own assistance.

  • If you need a place to stay right now and have no options, the Contact Center and Homeless Shelter can provide you with assistance. They are located in the basement of the Yankton Country Courthouse. The number is (605) 260-4400.

  • If you have no need for rent assistance, please use the Public Buzz link to find available local housing. You will find a hyperlink on the links page.



How much rent will I have to pay if I have a Section 8 voucher?

Your rent payment is based on your income. The voucher will pay approximately anything above 30% of your adjusted monthly income up to an established limit. For example, if you earn $2,000 per month and the home you want rents for $900 per month, you would pay $600 and the voucher would cover the difference of $300 as long as the Fair Market Rent for your area is equal to or greater than $900.

How long does it take to get a voucher?

It varies. There is no way for our office to predict how long the wait is for anyone who is applying and who is already on the waiting list. The only thing we can tell you is that once you are on the waiting list, it is extremely important to keep your mailing address information up to date because if your name comes to the top of the list we must have correct contact information to let you know that your name has come to the top of the list and that we can invite you to a briefing.


How do I find a home once I have my voucher?

The first thing you must know is that a voucher can be used on any property that is not already subsidized in any other program. We provide a list of available apartments in the area, this is known as our clearinghouse list. You should also look at local newspapers for additional rentals. Speak with friends, family, or current neighbors to find available housing. Sometimes local real estate agents will know of rental units. We have links that list resources.
You may use your voucher with any property that accepts Section 8. But, landlords are not required by law to accept Section 8 vouchers. In recent years, in many areas, conventional rental rates have outpaced Fair Market Rents making renting to Section 8 voucher holders less attractive.
When you find an apartment or home that meets all Section 8 program requirements including a physical inspection to insure the building is decent, safe and sanitary, we will make a contract with the landlord to pay some or all the rent on your behalf, depending upon your income.


Do I have to rent an apartment in the same city or county where I received my Section 8 voucher?

No. Section 8 vouchers are "portable". So, once you receive a voucher, you can take it anywhere in the United States that has a public housing authority which can administer the voucher. You can literally receive a voucher in Mississippi and move to Hawaii with it. To proceed with a port you must first contact the housing authority that you receive your voucher from. However, we do require that families reside in our jurisdiction for a minimum of one year before porting. Also because of funding restrictions, some housing authorities are only able to allow porting if the assistance is equal to or less than what it pays at the families current unit.


What's the difference between tenant-based and project-based Section 8?

Tenant-based vouchers are attached to you as a tenant. A project-based voucher is attached to a particular property. If you live in a unit with a project-based voucher and you move, the Section 8 stays with the property and the next tenant uses the voucher. With a tenant-based voucher, you can take it anywhere as long as the home you wish to rent accepts Section 8 and meets the standards of the Section 8 program.


What is affordable housing?

Affordable housing is a broad term used to describe decent, safe housing which is affordable for individuals who, generally, earn less than 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI).


What is subsidized housing?

Subsidized housing is a term used to describe housing which is financed in whole or in part with government funding, whereby your rent is based on your income.


What is the difference between very-low income, low-income and moderate income?

The meaning of these terms can vary from program to program and institution to institution but generally, very-low income persons refers to persons at or below 30% of the Area Median Income (AMI), low-income persons refers to persons at or below 50% of the AMI, and moderate income persons refers to persons at or below 80% of the AMI.


What is a "tenant certification"?

Tenant Certifications are forms that you, as a resident in an affordable housing community, must complete on an annual or periodic basis disclosing all your sources of income. The purpose of the certification is to assure that only those who meet the income restrictions under HUD receive the benefits of the housing assistance.


Most of FAQ was borrowed from http://www.affordablehousingonline.com